By: Pamela Egan, FNP-C CDE
Peanut allergy can cause problems with some inhalers
Peanut allergy is one of the most common and severe food allergies. About 3 million people are allergic to peanuts and other nuts.
Common inhalers Atrovent and Combivent are contraindicated in patients with peanut allergies.
Atrovent (ipratropium) and Combivent (ipratropium/albuterol) inhalers contain soy lecithin as a suspending agent. Soy and peanuts are in the same plant family. About 10 percent of people who are allergic to peanuts and also allergic to soy.
Don’t worry about Atrovent Nasal Spray or Atrovent Inhalation Solution. These products don’t contain soy lecithin.
More on Allergies:
If you suffer from seasonal allergies, limit your exposure to allergens to avoid severe allergy symptoms. Please see Pam’s 03-24-2003 article on Allergic Rhinitis for more information on minimizing exposure to allergens.
To help take control of your Allergies:
- Stay indoors from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. with windows closed, if possible, when pollen counts are highest.
Select plants and trees for landscaping that are less likely to trigger allergies.
- Shower following outdoor activities and before going to bed to remove pollen and mold from your hair and skin.
- When gardening, wear a pollen mask.
Avoid drying clothes outside where they can accumulate pollen. Use a clothes dryer instead.
- Keep your car windows closed when traveling.
- Vacation at the beach or other areas that are relatively pollen-free.
- Use plastic mulch instead of straw to control weeds and mold growth in flowerbeds.
- Use an air conditioner and dehumidifier to keep air clean and dry.
Clean air filters regularly.
This article was originally published March 31, 2003 in The St. Tammany News.
- – The Health Benefits of Tea
- – Natural Remedies for Colds and Upper Respiratory Infections
- – What is Swine Flu and What are its Symptoms?
- – Anti-Aging Medicine: Myth Or Reality?
- – Andropause: Male Menopause Caused By Testosterone Deficiency
- – When is Hormone Replacement Therapy Appropriate?